The Colwill's, Vaughan's and Brandy and Monroe all came over for the slaughter Party. So things always take longer then you think. What I thought would take 1hr and have it all done, took 2 and a half hours and still wasn't finished. We did six birds. By the end we made Paul take his turn at killing and he did alright, besides the constant hesitation. Ryan was the supreme gutter, Paul did what he does best watched and entertained while trying to keep his hands clean, hence the making him kill a bird.
The kids surprisingly where ok with everything, we talked them through what was going to happen and why we have to kill the animals. We took the time to explain that we were not doing this to be cruel, but to make food.
While we were processing them two of them had eggs in them. It was so cool seeing how the eggs come to be. In one of the chickens there where eggs in all different stages, all the way to just these little sacks that looked like caviare. Now all the planning didn't work out that great. It ended up that we got blood everywhere, so once we have our flock it will be summers only killing and and outdoors. Since we have five left, I'm giving them to a week to lay an egg OR ELSE! They know what is coming, it was explained as they watched their friends.
So sat the family headed out and picked up some feed for the chickens, not bad $18 for 40kg. The rest of the day I had to come up with a place for the remaining chickens to stay. We spent next to nothing on their coop.
Materials
-4 skids
-Brad Nailer and nails
-handful of screws and gun
-circular saw
-wire cage material
and Ta-dah!
They have two nesting bowes, a perch and two feed troughs (one for feed and one for oyster shells). The water dish, as of today, is an ice cream bowl filled several times a day. I have a light hooked up to a timer to come on at 5am to give them few extra hours of light a day to try an coax them into laying eggs. None yet! 5 more days and then more freezer space will be occupied. I finally got that email about the Orpington order so hopefully I get a phone call soon and then I can have that behind me and done.
The goat I heard back and things look good the seller is going to contact me as soon as the doe kids and then we can come pick her up!! milk milk milk!!!
Till next time.
I want to try and clear up some old post with things that I said I would get to and I did but I didn't blog about so that will be my next task.
All the best,
The kids surprisingly where ok with everything, we talked them through what was going to happen and why we have to kill the animals. We took the time to explain that we were not doing this to be cruel, but to make food.
While we were processing them two of them had eggs in them. It was so cool seeing how the eggs come to be. In one of the chickens there where eggs in all different stages, all the way to just these little sacks that looked like caviare. Now all the planning didn't work out that great. It ended up that we got blood everywhere, so once we have our flock it will be summers only killing and and outdoors. Since we have five left, I'm giving them to a week to lay an egg OR ELSE! They know what is coming, it was explained as they watched their friends.
Materials
-4 skids
-Brad Nailer and nails
-handful of screws and gun
-circular saw
-wire cage material
and Ta-dah!
They have two nesting bowes, a perch and two feed troughs (one for feed and one for oyster shells). The water dish, as of today, is an ice cream bowl filled several times a day. I have a light hooked up to a timer to come on at 5am to give them few extra hours of light a day to try an coax them into laying eggs. None yet! 5 more days and then more freezer space will be occupied. I finally got that email about the Orpington order so hopefully I get a phone call soon and then I can have that behind me and done.
The goat I heard back and things look good the seller is going to contact me as soon as the doe kids and then we can come pick her up!! milk milk milk!!!
Till next time.
I want to try and clear up some old post with things that I said I would get to and I did but I didn't blog about so that will be my next task.
All the best,
No comments:
Post a Comment