On the goat front. We found another person selling goats, but they are about a 3hr drive away and some things are a little unclear I'm going to have to have a few more emails to clear things up. Hopefully our search is over and we can have a wet doe for the spring, Cheese Cheese Cheese.
So the Chickens! two days after I placed my order for the chickens we received a call from the hatchery in Canada saying that they can still fill our order, BUT they need to ship them by air $$$$$$$$$ and that adds an extra $100 to the chicken order. Now considering that the order only came to $136, well you do the math. Those are some expensive chickens. Back to google.
Good thing I married such a smart women because after bouncing a few ideas around and i prepared myself for driving to the boarder and bringing the birds back over myself from the USA. Cheryl did some looking online and found someone that was selling their birds so they could buy the breed that I want. So i gave them a call and found out they were part of an Association that was ordering together and after a few more calls I am now joining that association in order to get in on their order of the Buff Orpington's that they are having shipped up from the USA (did I mention that they are ordering from the same hatchery that I was going to buy from). I am just waiting to hear back from the person at the Assoc. about placing my order and then I won't have to drive to the boarder.
At the same time The other day I found someone online that was just getting rid of their flock because they had stopped laying (winter). So the children and I headed up there today to pick up the birds. Nate was all excited and you almost couldn't contain him,
that was until the farmers dog came into the barn and then he freaked. Hailey was freaking the whole time so there I was with two children freaking out a dog running around while sheep watched the whole thing and me chasing chickens. the funniest part was that I was doing a better job of catching the chickens then the farmer. At one point he was chasing one and I had one in each hand while trying to calm down two children screaming at the top of their lungs. Now i guess that someone responded to the add after us because the farmer explanation was that someone else was coming and He (farmer) told him that him (the other guy) that someone was already coming so he could have half. So i thought we were going to have 20 chickens, but instead we got 11. Still a good deal at that price, FREE!!!! We finally finished, got the kids in the van, pooh covered and all, and left.
So tomorrow Ryan, Paul and Families are coming over to turn all but three into dinners. Cheryl won't be here so she will miss out, but for the rest of us it will be good practise for when we have larger flocks.
I found a place that has a ton of skids, so for the next several Wed before bible study I am going to be picking up skids until I have all five chicken tractors made. Yeah!
just in an aside---I had a run in with the Post worker today. We haven't had mail a week and a half, so I called the post office toll free number and was surprised that they said that there was no way to call the local post office, "they don't have a direct line" I laughed said thank you and hung up without waiting for a reply. It took me all of 30 sec. to find the local number online and when I called them they said I hadn't received mail because there was to much snow near my mail bow. I will give them this, if they felt there was a problem they should do what is necessary to solve that problem. However what did they do, THAT RIGHT NOTHING. I had to call them to find out that there was a problem and that bugs me because as with the rest of you I pay to get my mail and if I can't get my mail I feel that I should be informed why. I shouldn't have to be the one that initiates that process. Just as a side within this side. on Fri I had to wait to pull into my drive because the post veh. was at the end of my drive pulled right up to my box and didn't put anything in it. because there was to much snow, but they were pulled right up to it, any closer and they would be taking paint off their veh.
So the Chickens! two days after I placed my order for the chickens we received a call from the hatchery in Canada saying that they can still fill our order, BUT they need to ship them by air $$$$$$$$$ and that adds an extra $100 to the chicken order. Now considering that the order only came to $136, well you do the math. Those are some expensive chickens. Back to google.
Good thing I married such a smart women because after bouncing a few ideas around and i prepared myself for driving to the boarder and bringing the birds back over myself from the USA. Cheryl did some looking online and found someone that was selling their birds so they could buy the breed that I want. So i gave them a call and found out they were part of an Association that was ordering together and after a few more calls I am now joining that association in order to get in on their order of the Buff Orpington's that they are having shipped up from the USA (did I mention that they are ordering from the same hatchery that I was going to buy from). I am just waiting to hear back from the person at the Assoc. about placing my order and then I won't have to drive to the boarder.
At the same time The other day I found someone online that was just getting rid of their flock because they had stopped laying (winter). So the children and I headed up there today to pick up the birds. Nate was all excited and you almost couldn't contain him,
that was until the farmers dog came into the barn and then he freaked. Hailey was freaking the whole time so there I was with two children freaking out a dog running around while sheep watched the whole thing and me chasing chickens. the funniest part was that I was doing a better job of catching the chickens then the farmer. At one point he was chasing one and I had one in each hand while trying to calm down two children screaming at the top of their lungs. Now i guess that someone responded to the add after us because the farmer explanation was that someone else was coming and He (farmer) told him that him (the other guy) that someone was already coming so he could have half. So i thought we were going to have 20 chickens, but instead we got 11. Still a good deal at that price, FREE!!!! We finally finished, got the kids in the van, pooh covered and all, and left.
So tomorrow Ryan, Paul and Families are coming over to turn all but three into dinners. Cheryl won't be here so she will miss out, but for the rest of us it will be good practise for when we have larger flocks.
I found a place that has a ton of skids, so for the next several Wed before bible study I am going to be picking up skids until I have all five chicken tractors made. Yeah!
just in an aside---I had a run in with the Post worker today. We haven't had mail a week and a half, so I called the post office toll free number and was surprised that they said that there was no way to call the local post office, "they don't have a direct line" I laughed said thank you and hung up without waiting for a reply. It took me all of 30 sec. to find the local number online and when I called them they said I hadn't received mail because there was to much snow near my mail bow. I will give them this, if they felt there was a problem they should do what is necessary to solve that problem. However what did they do, THAT RIGHT NOTHING. I had to call them to find out that there was a problem and that bugs me because as with the rest of you I pay to get my mail and if I can't get my mail I feel that I should be informed why. I shouldn't have to be the one that initiates that process. Just as a side within this side. on Fri I had to wait to pull into my drive because the post veh. was at the end of my drive pulled right up to my box and didn't put anything in it. because there was to much snow, but they were pulled right up to it, any closer and they would be taking paint off their veh.
No comments:
Post a Comment