As the yard fills with leaves I finally finished cutting the felled trees in the back, about half is chopped the rest is stacked in rounds waiting for a sunny winters day to be chopped. After looking at the amount of wood that is there I can't help but remember the saying about wood "if you think you have enough, triple it and you might be ok". So I might drop a few more ash and cut them before the snow comes. Defiantly having the ATV and Paul's trailer has made cutting a lot easier, I can't imagine doing that work with a wheelbarrow.
My mother-in-law is still living here. It has come in handy a couple of times when I need to leave the kinds and just go do something on my own.
A couple weeks back Ryan help fell some trees in the front yard, well I have been trying to just burn through that wood. So once the fire is going I will throw a few of those logs on top of the stove and turn them every once and a while, then finally put them in the fire to burn. This has worked great with only few incidence until the other night. It started with the night before one of the logs on top had started to smoke only a short time after going on top. So, I just took it off and put it outside (around 5 or 6pm). At 3am the next morning I was up with the kids and then couldn't sleep due to a headache. I was downstairs watching "I still know what you did last summer" online (why do people still pay for cable?) when I thought that there was a tow truck next door or in our drive. Wrong! it was that piece of wood, it had caught the front porch on fire, four glasses of water extinguished it, but scary enough. It took about half an hour to pull and replace the floor boards that were damaged. And now there is the "No drying wood on the stove" rule.
Next on the list I need to till the second paddock on one side for the garden in the spring. I have asked my electrician friend to save the metal things that wire comes on so I can take down some barbed wire and relocate it to around the second paddock. Deer and Rabbit (food) might try to eat the garden in the spring. Which reminds me I really want to catch some of the rabbits that are hopping around here and try to breed it with a meat rabbit to see if we can get all the good characteristics of the wild (foraging) with the size of the meat rabbit. That will have to wait till spring and green pastures, because we don't won't to have to buy food for our food.
On the topic of wild animals, I was up the other morning because I couldn't sleep (again), and around 4am I could hear the coyotes going crazy. I opened the back door to get a better listen and they were no more then 400m from my back door, straight back (on my prop). They sounded like they had caught something, more then likely a deer by the sounds of their numbers, and they were having it out over who got what. I want to rig a few metal barrels up as traps to place around the prop to cut down on the amount that could potentially attack our animals (I have my license to do this). So, if you happen to have metal barrels that you want to give away, Please post a comment.
The pond is almost completely out, it is heavy work so I can only do a little at a time and pay for it dearly each time. Now I just have to move the remaining stones and back fill the rest of it with dirt.
I did just read in this months M.E.N. about Osage Orange. It is a living fence, I would love to use this I just need to find out about how much it is going to cost and if that is in the budget then I will start next spring.
Today I have to wire a trailer harness and then go pick up debris and do fall landscaping at the rentals.
Out for now,
No comments:
Post a Comment