Sunday, May 29, 2011

Worst Blogger Ever

Ok, Ok, I know.  I am the worlds worst blogger. It has been forever since I was last here and wrote something.  I am equivalent to that date that shows up 2hrs after you gave up and went home, more like the one that shows up on the wrong day.

It seemed like I had nothing to write for well over two months with winter slowly closing shop and literally nothing going on but cutting wood, and lets all admit that there is only so many times you can hear someone talk about cutting word.  It's like listening to politicians talk about what they plan to do, all the hard work takes place at that point because once its out of their mouth you know nothing is going to be done.

Then winter ended and we had crazy warm weather and its like a hundred and one things needed to be done and the daily abeyance list changed, but never ended.  So in the past threes weeks (or so) this is what has take place......

I started, but have yet to finish the chicken tractor.  The bones and nesting boxes are done.  I just need to finish the coupe, add some tin for and the chicken wire.  then it is one down and one maybe two more to go.  This would seem to be an afternoon activity, but I am making it out of old skids that I got for free and I am recycling them into something new that will give life to hundreds of chicks if not hundreds of fine breakfasts.

28 Posts holes are dug. and then subsequently filled with water because the ground on our property is so wet.  I have cut around 20 cedar trees down and I have harrowed (the bottom four feet) all but four posts.  They are leaning against the back deck now drying and soon I will blow torch them and then water seal them.  In the same action I pulled up the boards on the deck to add footings, but the ground under the deck was still frozen,  So today I put back some new boards but didn't screw them into place in hopes that the ground will thaw soon and then I will have to do the holes by hand.

The post holes where ok to dig, we rented a gas powered post hole auger with an 8 inch bit.  It worked fine except for the fact that as soon as you hit something it just logged itself into the ground.  At that point we needed to take the bit off and turn the bit out by hand.  This is where the most time was spend.  The physical work itself; well if you want large shoulders then you should rent one of these and just dig some holes, you'll be as wide as a barn in no time.  As for me the physical and excruciating part was walking around carrying the machine and having to bend, there were breaks, lots of them.  By the end of the day the two man auger turned into a three man auger.

The kids play set is up and some what in good order.  It is not in its final place, but for now the kids can play on it and be occupied for at least a few hours each day.

We have the start of our orchard,  Four trees all about five years old, so they should bare fruit next season for consumption.  I changed the location from where I originally wanted it, and over time it might expand in the form of a phase 2 back to where I had wanted it.  We have 1- Apple that has five different apples grafted onto it. 1-Apple that has just one baking apple on it. 1- Dark Sweet Cherry (self pollinator) and 1- Pear (self Pollinator).  I just added root stimulator to them today, to help them take to their new home.

It is Apr 15th and the phone just rang, it's the Nubian Goat breeder, the Goat is ready for pick up today!..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment