Not a lot has happened since the last post. I am still working on the duct work. It just takes way longer then I thought it would. Each piece has to be measured then I have to draw it out on sheet metal then cut and file the edges. Then I have to assemble it in place. So hopefully by the end of this week I will have been able to dedicate enough time to be able to have it finished and then have someone come in to wire the furnace up.
For the outside I was able to dig one fence post hole, I attempted three. The ground back in the paddocks is full of small rocks and the hand post hole digger just doesn't work in those conditions. For now I will have to use t-bar toe put up the fence for the goat pen.
I did email a farm that is not to far from us here about buying a goat off them, However I have heard nothing back from them. Once I have some free time I will give in more effort. While helping a friend with their basement last weekend I did have someone offer a male goat for $100 but they weren't sure if it was a nubian or not, I'm not sure if I really want a male goat this early. I definitely don't want to pay for food and I did find a web site that you can buy registered goat sperm from award winning goats, you just have to buy five shots at once for about $25/each.
Heating by the fireplace in the living room is alright, but regulating the temp is crazy. most day it swings between 23 degrees and any were as high as 40 degrees, it's 30 right now. I am not joking, I can't wait to get the digital thermostat in so I can actually see how high it gets in the living room, right now the needle markings end at 30 and the needle pushes past that pretty far.
Can I get a big HURRAY! My mother-in-law found a house and has an excepted offer, The end of Dec is her closing day.
I tried to boil water for coffee on the wood stove this morning... So it took an hour before filled the stove and moved the damper wide open, then it boiled within 10 mins. But then the house was back up to around 40 degrees, which is why it is now 30 almost 2 hours later. I would have to say I expected the water to boil with in 10mins even with just ambers in the stove, given that the unit itself is likely in the range of 300-400 degrees at that point so I am a little stumped at that. Now I am sure that if I put a cast iron pan on there and let it heat up I could definitely get some good cooking result, given that most food cook at under 100 degrees.
Did I mention that my mother-in-law is moving out!
This is one of the few times that I will mention brands, I am actually making an effort to leave names of people, products and companies off this blog. When we bought this house we did not include the appliances in our offer to purchase. We wanted to get all new High Efficiency appliances. After doing some research, price comparisons and finding out what Cheryl wanted, we went with Sears and their Kenmore Elite line for the kitchen and one of there Kenmore Standard lines for the front load washer.
At first there were a few things wrong with the appliances, but they were quick to come out and fix them and they were minor things that would have happened in transit or things missed at the factory before shipping. Not a big deal and we were really impressed with how fast they handled rectifying the problem. Little stuff aside, things just keep going wrong. The ice maker in the fridge makes more ice then what we need so the fridge manual says if that happens take the tray out and empty it. So I shut it off and did as it said, but when I put it back and turned it back on it wouldn't make ice. I tried everything in the trouble shooting guide, I also tried unplugged the fridge, and raising the temp of the freezer to 8 degrees just incase something was frozen. When I called the person on the other end basically tried to read me the trouble shooting guide and then came up with they had to send someone out, why not have someone qualified answering the phone that could walk me through diagnosing it. There are other issues , but I don't want to lose what little readership I have. The short, we'll have to wait and see!
I picked up this book, "trees in Canada" and it has been great. I have picked out what trees I want to plant in the forest and what I am going to put between us and our one neighbour. It seems that the house that we can see is now being rented out, but I never see people.
Well thats all for today,
No comments:
Post a Comment